Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Knitting Wrapped Stitches

In a lot of my patterns I require a whole bunch of wrap-and-turns (where you move your yarn to the front, slip a stitch, move the yarn to the back, slip the stitch back to the left needle, and turn your work). When you've done this and come back to the wrapped stitch, you'll find that it looks like this:
If you knit it how it is, you're going to see the yarn that's wrapping the stitch as a little bar. If you're OK with this, let it go, but I prefer to make my work look a little more seamless. In order to make the wrap invisible, you should knit the stitch with its wrap. First, you should insert your right needle underneath the yarn that is wrapping the stitch.
See? It's easy! Now just place the tip of that needle into the stitch you want to knit:
But you can't quite knit them like that all the time (sometimes, if your stitches are loose enough, you can bring the working yarn through both loops as so, but I find it's a little hit-or-miss), so what I do is I slip the wrapped stitch off the left needle knitwise, then place them both on, together, as so:
Then knit both stitch and wrap together. It will be a tiny bit visible on the wrong side of the work, but after blocking, even the wrong side will look flawless! I hope this little tutorial helps you guys out!

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen Cat Bordhi's method for doing wraps? For some reason it makes it super invisible and I freaking love it. 'Course if yours are already coming out invisible then it doesn't matter ;-) Mine used to be kinda wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! But I'll look it up and post it and a few other methods as links on this post, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is incredibly simple to work with and ideal for cool-climate sportswear, coats, and, obviously, sweatshirts. piggelen garn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be frustrated! Bring the written knitting pattern with you to the knitting group, and kindly ask a member to help you figure out what you are doing wrong. viking tröja

    ReplyDelete